Friday, September 21, 2007

Ice Cream Cake Recipe

Okay - Here is the Ice Cream Cake recipe I promised. It is really pretty easy and tastes great!!

Here is a link with a picture - I found this in the free Kraft Food & Family Magazine

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup hot fudge ice cream topping, warmed
1 (8 ounce) tub COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed, divided
1 pkg. (4 serving size) JELL-O Chocolate Flavor Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
8 OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, chopped
12 vanilla ice cream sandwiches, unwrapped

DIRECTIONS
-Pour fudge topping into medium bowl. Add 1 cup of the whipped topping; stir with wire whisk until well blended. Add dry pudding mix; stir 2 min. or until well blended. Gently stir in chopped cookies; set aside.
-Arrange 4 of the ice cream sandwiches, side-by-side, on 24-inch-long piece of foil; top with half of the whipped topping mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining 4 ice cream sandwiches. Frost top and sides of dessert with remaining whipped topping. Bring up foil sides. Double fold top and ends to loosely seal packet.
-Freeze at least 4 hours before serving. Store leftover dessert in freezer.

Okay - now here is my experience with this recipe:
I made the mistake of making this right when we got home from the grocery store. The ice cream sandwiches had been in the cart and in the car ride home - then straight to the kitchen counter (only to have warm fudge layered on top). I recommend letting those have a chance to refreeze before using them. As I was putting the second layer of ice cream sandwiches on, the bottom layer was almost completely melted. AAHH! Thank goodness they have you set up the "foil packet". I quickly finished the layers, wrapped up the foil, and put it in the freezer. I was able to take it out a few hours later and frost it. Then let it set in the freezer until the party. My second recommendation is to work fast and get everything set up before you get out the sandwiches. But, if you have to, you can easily frost it later!

This is not to scare you away from the recipe - I just hope it helps your cake making go a little smoother than mine. I am looking forward to making this again - now I know what I will do differently. Let me know how it turns out for you!

1 comment:

Abby said...

Thanks for posting it! Andy and I think anything with Oreos has to be good...