Friday, December 15, 2006

Sign Language

The teachers in Zach's classroom all use sign language with the kids. I had Miss Lisa show them to me and we have been using it at home too. WOW - it is really unbelievable how it works!

Zach knows - please, more, all done, bed/nightnight, eat, drink and byebye. (These are the basics they use at school) He probably knows more that we don't even know!

This week Zach has been signing like crazy. When he gets home, he takes his coat off and hangs it in his room. Then immediately signs eat, more, & please over and over and stands by the highchair.

He has also asked to go NightNight the past two nights. He will sign Bed and hold his blanket if it's around.

I think I am going to look up some new signs to teach him!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun! Isn't amazing how fast they learn and how much they learn!!!
Lets get the sign for hugs and kisses!!!!

And, of course, grandma and g!!!:)

Stephanie said...

We started signing with Eli at ~8 months, and it really worked! Even now he will occasionally resurrect an old sign while he is saying the word. I think I will have to start earlier with our next baby.

Anonymous said...

Makes me wish I wouldn't forgotten all of the sign language I learned when I was in boy scouts many many moons ago. We use to go to a camp by Des Moines every year that had a year round camp for deaf, mute and blind. I was actually pretty good at it when I was about 12 to 15 years old. G

Anonymous said...

Check out this book:
Baby Signs
I got it when Zoe it first came along. It's a super easy read with a good illustrated "sign dictionary". We're really gearing up with Zoe now, because, oh, the whining! I bet you remember that well. That, and the pointing.

Until she really starts to sign herself, I'm sticking with roughly 3 signs: cat (a toy she has), more, and book. She does big already just because she loves playing "So big!" :-)

Anonymous said...

Just don't refresh him memory on the sign he did in the picture you have, when he was really young.

Anonymous said...

I signed with both of the kids...they got to be polite long before they could talk, and it was nice to know what they wanted!
Kristen